Tuesday, January 2, 2007

2007

(Yes, that's the best title I could think of.)


How pathetic was that to post that 'advertisement', promise I’d be back, and then disappear for days?

Ahem…anyway...

Happy 2007 to all my peeps. Hope you all had a splendid weekend!

Here in the M.N. I woke up to this after 16 motha-freakin hours of RAIN.



RAIN, people. December 31st. In MINNESOTA. Central Minnesota. Rain that washed away what crappy little bit of snow we had.

I cursed the rain, bitched about it being dreary and wet and then…

It started SNOWING.

And KEPT ON SNOWING.






And January 1st brought this pretty view.


The Man and I braved the storm (I was more braving the car ride) to bring the kids over to the Momma’s house. Snow be damned, I needed some time ALONE. They have a blast over there anyway. Apparently Ninja Boy was drinking the sparkling grape juice like a forty and ate nothing but cookies. What could be more fun for a 9 year old?

I was a total bitch most of the evening. I was upset that The Man didn’t try to plan anything, that we didn’t have the money to go out, and mostly that I’m only 24 and I haven’t gone out for NYE in three years. And we had a sitter for every single one. I worry that I’m going to be one of those older women trying to hang with the young crowd at nightclubs in 20 years because I never got my fill of partying. Or, that I’ll just turn into an ornery old bitch.

I sucked it up and apologized for my bitchiness, made myself purrty and decided to just BE HAPPY that I had a night alone with The Man.

We ate a big NY Strip dinner with wine by candlelight then finished the bottle while we watched a movie. We paused it to watch the ball drop and I passed out shortly thereafter.

It was a good night. As boring as it sounds on paper, as a couple, we really needed that chance to talk and reconnect. Our last few nights alone were filled with shopping and present wrapping. It was weird to have to come up with conversations at dinner. They usually consist of what the kids did at school or who isn’t eating their food. We got a chance to talk about our year and what we wanted to change in 2007.

My goals for ’07 are:
Lose the rest of the weight. (Obviously – it’s all I’ve been talking about!)
Spend more time with the kids.
Save my PTO for actual DAYS OFF
Be on time to work (which, I broke this morning)
Along with other things, which are more plans than goals.

Overall, I’m very proud of the things I accomplished in 2006.
I pushed myself to be more social, which saved me from becoming an agoraphobe.
I gave my time to causes that I appreciate.
I forgave people who I never thought I would.
I didn’t lose my house (I was seriously afraid that we wouldn’t make it).

This year I lost a grandpa I hardly knew, but learned a lot about him from the family I would have never met otherwise. We had a scare with my paternal grandma…my ‘mother’ for some years…but she pulled through just fine.

2006 for me was all about change and moving on with life. It was hard. It was damn hard. But I did it. I feel much stronger now than last year at this time. I feel more content with everything in my life. I feel like this year is going to be a lot easier and a lot more fun.
Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve.
Middle age is when you're forced to.
~Bill Vaughn

3 comments:

Kristina said...

I really like that sparkpeople website. I'm horrid about tracking food and stuff (I usually last about 2 days doing it) but even knowing how many calories I should be eating is super helpful!

I like how you use the word "goals" rather than resoloutions.....maybe it the rebel in me, but the word "resolution" makes me want to NOT do it, just because I know everyone else has theirs. Goals, however, I can do :) Best of luck with yours!

Butrfly Garden said...

I dont' think I'll have time to post today, so I thought I'd at least acknowledge that I read this!

The food tracker on their website is really easy to use. I've had to input a lot of my foods, but once you do, they are in there. They have a lot listed already, too. I think the best part is their articles. They don't sugar-coat anything, they're like "QUIT MAKING EXCUSES!!"

I'm too rebellious toward resolutions, too. Like, they're made to be broken. These goals are kind of continuing from last year.

Anonymous said...

You say "ornery old bitch" like it's a bad thing.