Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Honeymooning

So it seems that beautiful sandy beaches and vast oceans are not in my near future. Ideally, that would have been what my honeymoon was like. However, even when we thought we might kinda sorta be able to maybe afford such a trip, we realized our prime honeymoon time was also prime hurricane time. No thank you to that.

We then decided that we would cozy up in a nicer-than-usual hotel in Duluth for a long weekend. Until a horde of in-line skating enthusiasts trampled my second-rate-dream honeymoon by stealing all the hotel rooms. (B&B’s are adorable, they are…I just can’t bring myself to stay in one.)

So we were left with about five days to go pretty much wherever we wanted. We wanted a place we’ve never been to but didn’t have to travel a long way to get to. We came up with…Chicago.

This is where you come in, my friends. I need advice. I need places to eat (fun, but not too fancy), places to stay (nice, but not “independently wealthy” nice), things to go see and do. Even a pointer to which area I should stay would help me narrow my search a bit.
I went nuts and almost cancelled our last vacation – which was only to Wisconsin Dells – because I had to figure it all out on my own with no help or input. I don’t want to risk that again.

7 comments:

Guacaholic said...

You need to talk to Laurel : http://sassattack.blogspot.com/

She is moving to Chicago this summer...

My BIL says "House of Blues"... I say go Zagat.

Brillig said...

I am so sorry that I know absolutely NOTHING about Chicago. But! I'm so excited that you posted!!!!! I nearly died of joy when I saw a new post here! yayayayay! And yay for honeymoons. I could say something here about how it doesn't matter where you go as long as there's a bed, but I'll refrain... :-)

Pollyanna said...

I have never been to Chicago either. I do LOTS of travel arrangements for my job with the Tribe. I do almost 95% of it online, try doing some goggle searchs of the chamber of commerce and stuff like that. It can provide a wealth of info! If you want I can do some research for you and email you the results!! :)

Whiskeymarie said...

I haven't been there in about 15 years, so I've got nothing for you. Sorry. Except to say I'm jealous- I've been dying for a little Chicago jaunt for a while now.

Anonymous said...

I know little about Chicago, but I have to say that the day my husband and I arrived in Tahiti for our honeymoon, the islands were hit by the first hurricane there in six years. The island we were on at the time just got grazed, but we still woke up literally blanketed with thatch from our roof.

Kellyology said...

We are no help are we? Maybe you should call Oprah?;)

Kristina said...

FUN!!! I used to visit a lot there as I have family that lives there (and my sister did for awhile too)....I'll see if she has any good suggestions!